Updated: Mar 31
NEPN/NSBA Code: IJOC
The Board supports the use of community resources, including volunteers, to complement and support instructional programs and extracurricular activities in the schools. Volunteers work in partnership with, under the supervision of, and at the request of school administrators and staff.
The purposes of the volunteer program are to:
1. Assist teachers in providing more individualized instruction and enrichment opportunities for students; assist staff with school projects; supervise or chaperone student activities; and perform clerical work;
2. Build an understanding of and support for school programs among interested citizens; and
3. Strengthen school/community relations.
Prospective volunteers must complete an application form and confidentiality agreement. Reference and criminal background checks, including sex offender registry checks, will be performed for all prospective volunteers who will work regularly in the schools or in potentially unsupervised settings with students. Applications will be screened and approved by the Superintendent and school principal. The Superintendent and school principal are authorized to use their discretion to terminate the services of a volunteer if they determine it is in the best interests of the school department.
The school principal must approve all volunteer assignments before volunteers begin work. The supervising staff member is responsible for giving volunteers a clear understanding of the duties, procedures and expectations necessary to perform their assignments.
All volunteers who are approved to work with students and/or in support of school programs are expected to comply with the following requirements.
1. Volunteers shall attend any required volunteer orientation/training sessions provided by the school department.
2. Volunteers will work with students under the immediate supervision and direction of authorized school staff.
3. Volunteers shall perform only such duties and tasks specifically approved and assigned by an administrator or supervising staff member.
4. Volunteers must keep all student and staff information strictly confidential. Volunteers may not access, review, disclose or use confidential student or staff information without specific authorization from a school administrator. This requirement applies even after a volunteer stops performing services for the schools.
5. Volunteers will conduct themselves in a professional manner and comply with all Board policies, school rules and directions from school personnel.
6. In accordance with Maine law, a member of the Board or a member's spouse may not serve as a volunteer when he/she has primary responsibility for a curricular or extracurricular program or activity and reports directly to the Superintendent or a school administrator.
M.S.A. D. #60 will bear the costs for criminal background checks.
Legal Reference: 20-A MRSA § 1002
Adopted: August 23, 2007
Revised; September 17, 2015
VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORM
The following information is requested to help us coordinate volunteer services and to ensure student safety.
Telephone: ______________________ E-mail Address:______________________
Date of Birth (required for background check): _____________________________
Area(s) of interest in volunteering: _______________________________________
Children in MSAD #60 (names, grades and school): ____________________________________________________________________
Do you have some special skills or interest that you'd like to share with our students?:
References: List three persons who can comment on your character and abilities whom we may contact:
Name Address Phone Relationship
The following information is asked of all individuals who volunteer to work with our children to help insure the safety of our students.
Have you ever been charged with or investigated for sexual abuse or harassment
of another person? Yes __ No __
Have you every been convicted of a crime (other than a minor traffic offense)?
Yes __ No__
Have you ever entered a plea of guilty or "no contest" (nolo contendere) to
any crime (other than a minor traffic offense)? Yes __ No __
Has any court ever deferred, filed or dismissed proceedings without a finding of guilty and required that you pay a fine, penalty or court costs and/or imposed a requirement as to your behavior or conduct for a period of time in connection with any crime (other than a minor traffic offense)? Yes __ No __
If you answered YES to any of the previous questions, provide full details below, including with respect to court actions, the date, offense in question, and the address of the court involved (attach additional page(s) if necessary).
If you have lived outside of Maine, please identify the states and dates:
Refusal to provide information for reference and/or criminal records checks and/or providing false or misleading information on this registration shall constitute sufficient reason to deny approval to serve as a volunteer or termination as a volunteer in MSAD #60.
I understand that MSAD #60 performs reference and criminal background, including sex offender registry checks, on all volunteers and I authorize persons and entities contacted by the school department in connection with this application to provide information about me. I expressly waive in connection with any request for or provision of such information, any claims, including without limitation, defamation, emotional distress, invasion of privacy, or interference with contractual relations that I might otherwise have against the school department, its agents and officials or against any provider of such information. I further understand that I am approved as a volunteer, that I will be required to sign a Volunteer Agreement and attend a Volunteer Orientation.
Applicant Signature Date
OFFICE USE ONLY
_____ Application reviewed for completeness
_____ References checked (attach documentation)
_____ Criminal record checked (attach documentation)
Application approved: __________
Application denied: ____________
VOLUNTEER AGREEMENT FORM
I understand that as a volunteer in MSAD #60 that ALL student and staff information is confidential. I agree not to access, review, disclose or use confidential student or staff information without specific authorization from a school administrator. I also understand that even when I am no longer a volunteer in the schools, any confidential information I have learned must continue to be kept confidential. I understand that any breach of these confidentiality requirements will result in my immediate termination as a volunteer and may result in legal action against me.
I understand that I must comply with all Board policies and school rules applicable to school staff as well as all directions from school administrators and staff while serving as a volunteer. I further understand that my authorization to serve as a volunteer may be terminated at the discretion of the Superintendent and school principal at any time if they determine it is in the best interests of MSAD #60.
Signature of Volunteer Date